There is plenty to love about the Caulfield race card this Saturday, and not just because of the 2011 Caulfield Cup, punters also turning their attention to a number of the day’s other features including the Tristarc Stakes 2011.
Gai Waterhouse’s outstanding mare More Joyous is the clear favourite in the Luxbet markets for the $180,000 Group 2 D’Urban Tristarc Stakes (1400m), set to run as Caulfield Race 9 at 4:40pm (EDT) on Saturday.
She is the only one the punters’ want in the Tristarc Stakes odds having been backed in from $2.25 to $2.10 in the markets after drawing ideally in barrier six of the 13-mare field.
While the five-time elite level winning daughter of More Than Ready certainly has the class and status to beat her rivals and salute for the punters, as the equal 58.5kg topweight with Response More Joyous will need to be at her best as she gives weight to some other genuine runners here.
Her trainer Waterhouse is brimming with confidence and hasn’t shied away from declaring More Joyous as the sure-to-be Tristarc Stakes winner.
“More Joyous will win this easily,” Waterhouse said.
“She’s far too good for them – she’s so well placed at the weights.
“She has worked sensationally this week and is really happy here in Melbourne.”
Waterhouse says she can, but what does More Joyous’ form say?
More Joyous – Horse to Beat in Tristarc Stakes 2011:
- Perfect barrier six draw
- Heavily support in the markets in from $2.25 to $2.10 at Luxbet
- Ran an eye-catching third to Sepoy first-up in the Group 1 Manikato Stakes (1200m) on September 30
- Unbeaten at Caulfield with two wins from as many starts
- Back to her pet distance – flawless 1400m record (3-3-0-0)
- Caulfield Track predicted to reach Good (3), has brilliant record on good ground (9-7-0-1)
- Excellent 2nd Up Record of 5-4-0-0
- Is a big weight (58.5kg), but she has carried 58kg to victory in a Group 1 over the mile at Caulfield before (2010 Toorak Handicap), and it is only 4.5k over the limit
Hot on More Joyous’ heels in the Tristarc Stakes betting is market mover Sister Madly, John Sadler’s in-form Redoute’s Choice five-year-old backed in from her opening quote of $4.20 into $3.50 through Luxbet.
Due to jump from barrier two with brilliant hoop Damien Oliver in the saddle, Sister Madly is a winner at Caulfield but not over the distance, and was able to beat home More Joyous when second in the Manikato last-start.
Next in the Tristarc Stakes Odds are:
- #2 Response ($11 Luxbet) – Shares 58.5kg with More Joyous but has a nasty gate 11 draw, third last-start over 1200m at Flemington in the Gilgai Stakes and distance will suit
- #8 Born To Rock ($11 Luxbet) – On the rails so will need to work the run right, but if they can get a clear journey and produce late speed are a real threat, comes off a last-start win over 1200 m at Moonee Valley where they carried 58kg (from barrier one also) and drop back to 56.5kg here
- #6 Sistine Angel (#18 Luxbet) – Drawn one inside the favourite (barrier five) which could either work for or against them here, hasn’t won over the distance but won’t discount based on their form around the good mares before at the track
The Races.com.au team also like a Roughie Pick in the field:
- #11 Booklet ($21 Luxbet) – Ideal barrier three draw, can get on the back of Sister Madly and follow her up, nicely weighted with 55.5kg, genuine run when second to Lady Lynette last start in the Blazer at Flemington over this distance, but Lady Lynette’s form didn’t hold up so have to wait, still fancy
Looking at the Tristarc Stakes field, form and odds, the Races.com.au believe More Joyous will step up and win this but it will be close and we are tipping Born To Rock and Booklet to be right up there in the finish.
Check out the full 2011 D’Urban Tristarc Stakes form guide and odds below.
2011 Tristarc Stakes Odds
Caulfield Race 9 – 15/10/201
|1||More Joyous (6)||2.10 Luxbet|
|2||Response (11)||11.00 Luxbet|
|3||Sister Madly (2)||3.50 Luxbet|
|4||Dysphonia (12)||26.00 Luxbet|
|5||Screen (4)||21.00 Luxbet|
|6||Sistine Angel (5)||18.00 Luxbet|
|7||Goon Serpent (7)||61.00 Luxbet|
|8||Born To Rock (1)||11.00 Luxbet|
|9||Royal Commands (13)||61.00 Luxbet|
|10||Luca Libre (10)||61.00 Luxbet|
|11||Booklet (3)||21.00 Luxbet|
|12||I’m Discreet (9)||26.00 Luxbet|
|13||Miss Matari (8)||201.00 Luxbet|
2011 Tristarc Stakes Form Guide & Field
|1.||MORE JOYOUS||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||6||58.5||5yoM||15||$114,563||20: 14 0 2||70.00%||80.00%||1110×3|
|2.||RESPONSE||M Ellerton and S Zahra||Dwayne Dunn||11||58.5||5yoM||13||$47,081||17: 4 4 2||23.53%||58.82%||167×83|
|3.||SISTER MADLY||J D Sadler||Damien Oliver||2||57.5||5yoM||15||$31,052||15: 3 4 3||20.00%||66.67%||x10x12|
|4.||DYSPHONIA||Peter Snowden||Mark Zahra||12||57.5||5yoM||13||$18,004||21: 7 2 4||33.33%||61.90%||031×03|
|5.||SCREEN||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||4||57.5||5yoM||21||$20,995||18: 7 3 0||38.89%||55.56%||1427×1|
|6.||SISTINE ANGEL||Andrew Noblet||Michelle Payne||5||57.5||4yoM||13||$30,729||12: 2 3 2||16.67%||58.33%||x035x2|
|7.||GOON SERPENT||D R Jolly||Nicholas Hall||7||57.5||5yoM||13||$11,598||14: 4 2 2||28.57%||57.14%||10×650|
|8.||BORN TO ROCK||M D Moroney||Corey Brown||1||56.5||4yoM||15||$13,992||13: 5 1 1||38.46%||53.85%||1513×1|
|9.||ROYAL COMMANDS||M Ellerton and S Zahra||Chris Symons||13||56.5||5yoM||15||$7,977||21: 3 4 1||14.29%||38.10%||3412×7|
|10.||LUCHA LIBRE||A J Cummings||Dean Yendall||10||56.5||4yoM||14||$24,800||3: 2 0 0||66.67%||66.67%||11×5|
|11.||BOOKLET||M Ellerton and S Zahra||Steven King||3||55.5||4yoM||13||$14,148||14: 3 3 3||21.43%||64.29%||10×162|
|12.||I’M DISCREET||R F Cameron||Craig Williams||9||55||5yoM||13||$16,182||23: 7 3 5||30.43%||65.22%||410234|
|13.||MISS MATARI||K F Milham||Lisa Cropp||8||54||6yoM||21||$6,875||14: 1 3 3||7.14%||50.00%||6552×9|
Form Guide Credit Ladbrokes.com.au
*Fixed Win Odds from Luxbet and subject to change