Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The countdown is now well and truly underway until the first of the major Spring Carnival Cups takes place, and to help our readers uncover the value in the Caulfield Cup 2011 below the Races.com.au crew take a look at the major movers and shakers in the markets.
Programmed as Race 8 at Caulfield on Saturday and due to jump at 4:05pm (EDT), the $2.5 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) this year attracted a capacity, although controversially diluted, field of 18 starters plus four emergency runners.
Since Caulfield Cup betting opened at Luxbet the clear favourite to win has been #9 December Draw.
Mark Kavanagh’s import certainly has the consistent recent record to earn their favouritism, although their form against the internationals in the field tomorrow is uncertain and their ability to stay is also dubious.
With some doubts circulating in regards to this, December Draw has drifted out in the Luxbet Caulfield Cup odds from $2.25 to $2.50.
Still, Luxbet’s chief bookmaker Paul Vincent still believes the 2011 Caulfield Cup is a race for the favourite backers and has December Draw as his tip to win.
“December Draw is the obvious one here having only been beaten once on these shores,” Vincent said.
“He’s very well-weighted and his ability to race handy has him clear top pick.
“Great form, good barrier and the stable is flying.
“The distance is no concern for mine and he’ll win.”
Read more about December Draw to become the 2011 Caulfield Cup winner or back them right now while their odds are out at Luxbet.
So that’s the favourite.
But what many punters want to know is the inside info on the big Caulfield Cup bets being placed so they too can follow the money trail and hopefully uncover the winner.
Vincent reports that one of their biggest bets on the race over the past day was $6,000 placed on #18 Southern Speed.
Major Caulfield Cup 2011 Betting Market Firmers
- #1 Mighty High ($13 into $8.50 Luxbet) – Big money rolling in for the Hong Kong raider in the No. 1 saddlecloth, has the inside running from one which should suit their front-running style, has the ability to hang if they don’t get into trouble. Notable bets placed on Mighty High at Luxbet: $3,000 at $13, $2,200 at $11, $1,400 at $10
- #3 Manighar ($26 into $16 Luxbet) – Nice barrier five draw for last year’s fifth placegetter, Luca Cumani has been targeting them for this again and their form over 2400m is very impressive. Notable bets placed on Manighar at Luxbet: $1,000 at $26, $1,500 at $21
- #10 Saptapadi ($51 into $21 Luxbet) – Another international firming in the odds, comes off an unlucky eighth in the Herbert Power and improvement is expected as they won’t find themselves as far back from their more advantageous gate here
- #14 Niowt ($101 into $51 Luxbet) – A real smoky worth a look, has form at the distance and will appreciate coming back to the 24 hundred after getting found out at Flemington last start when second to Mourayan over 2500m (beaten two lengths), don’t hate the horse but don’t love the draw (21 will come into 17). Notable bets placed on Niwot at Luxbet: $1,000 at $101, $600 at $61
- #17 Macedonian ($151 into $61 Luxbet) – Peter Moody’s runner has the gate to run a place but the form is all wrong, beaten four lengths from a similar barrier in the Herbert Power at this track and distance which was good but not good enough here?
- #18 Southern Speed ($21 into $12 Luxbet) – This is the mare the punters want, speedy South Australian raider has been right up there this season with Group 1 form around the best including her three lengths away fourth to December Draw in the Turnbull last-start, light-weight of the field and drawn ideally, only query is the distance. Notable bets placed on Southern Speed at Luxbet: $1,600 at $21, $1,000 at $18, $1,200 at $16
Whether it’s a Caulfield Cup market mover, favourite, roughie or exotic selection you want to get your money on now is the time to do it and Luxbet is the bookie to place it.
Offering new depositing customers a $500 bonus bet when they quote the code BONUSBET, Luxbet also have an exciting Best Tote Exotics + 5% Bonus offer open on every Caulfield Cup Day race so don’t miss out!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.