In recent years the Thousand Guineas has been an excellent race for the punters with no less than five favourites saluting in the past eight editions of the three-year-old fillies’ classic, and this Wednesday the Mark Kavanagh-trained spruik filly Atlantic Jewel will look to continue the trend in the 2011 Thousand Guineas at Caulfield.
After the release of the 12-horse final field for the $500,000 Group 1 Schweppes Thousand Guineas (1600m), which is scheduled as Caulfield Race 6 at 3:40pm (EDT) tomorrow, Australia’s premier online bookmaker Luxbet have released the updated Thousand Guineas odds.
Unsurprisingly the ideally-drawn Atlantic Jewel (barrier four) has retained her spot at the top of the 2011 Thousand Guineas betting markets, the talented daughter of Fastnet Rock paying $1.50 to maintain her flawless career record with a fourth straight turf triumph.
If Atlantic Jewel does go on to win on Wednesday, she will become the shortest-priced Thousand Guineas favourite to succeed since Alinghi who jumped at $1.70 in 2004.
There is only one other filly at single-figure odds in the Thousand Guineas markets at Luxbet with another Fastnet Rock filly, Robert Smerdon’s impressive last-start Group 2 Edward Manifold Stakes winner over the Flemington mile, Mosheen.
Drawn awkwardly in barrier 10 of 12, Mosheen is still seeing some support in the Thousand Guineas odds and is currently at a quote of $5.50 through Luxbet.
One person firmly on the Mosheen bandwagon is her jockey Danny Nikolic who believes she has the class to beat the favourite on Wednesday.
“I’m putting all my eggs in her basket,” he said.
“I probably won’t get a better chance (to win a Group 1) this spring.
“I rode her on Saturday morning and she’s improved again.
“She feels as though she could train on for the (Crown) Oaks.
“Atlantic Jewel looks real class, but she’s been beating the B and C graders.
“My horse will make its own luck – she’s got to run me down.”
Other notable 2011 Thousand Guineas fillies and their odds include:
- Hallowell Belle ($15 Luxbet) – Drawn in barrier nine, Peter Moody’s Starcraft filly has an ultra consistent record and was last seen running a distant second to Streama in the Group 1 Flight Stakes (1600m) at Randwick on October 1, with a clearer run and having seen the mile will improve
- Sharnee Rose ($15 Luxbet) – Lightly-raced Flemington-based filly was third to Atlantic Jewel over 1400m at Caulfield last start from a horror draw (11 of 11) and was a close second to the Thousand Guineas favourite the start before over 1200m at Moonee Valley from an equally awkward gate (10 of 11), in gate six for Wednesday which should see her finish closer
- Bliss Street ($19 Luxbet) – Dan Morton’s Flying Spur filly from Perth has form around all of these fillies having won the Prelude two starts back before her second in the Edward Manifold, connections say she is ready to hit peak and returning to Caulfield after having run the 1600m at Flemington last-start, conditions suit
- Celebrity Girl ($21 Luxbet) – Stablemate to the favourite, this Kavanagh-trained Starcraft filly was fourth in the Prelude officially (despite having crossed equal first with Bliss Street), before which she won her opening two, is at juicy odds after her third in the Edward Manifold, but trainer says to forgive and we are inclined to do so
Further down the Thousand Guineas odds 2011 at Luxbet are the likes of:
- Moody’s second runner Cute Emily ($26) who has the inside running from barrier one and who comes off a second to Chase The Rainbow in the open-sex Bill Stutt Stakes (1600m)
- Leon Corstnes-trained Zabeel filly Rahveel who has firmed in from $51 to $31 in the past day and who has won over the mile, albeit in a Bendigo Maiden
- Peter Snowden-trained Disputes ($41) who won the Listed Reginald Allen Handicap (1400m) at Newcastle last-start but who hasn’t seen Caulfield, has seen the mile but where well beaten when sixth to Helmet in the Group 1 Champagne Stakes last season
- John Thompson’s Encosta De Lago filly Kneeling ($61), beautifully bred and beat Hallowell Belle in a Listed 1200m race at Moonee Valley in August, but ran a distant seventh to Atlantic Jewel 35 days later at Caulfield, better for the run and drops considerably in weights (59kg to 55.5kg)
Finally two triple-figure roughies round out the Thousand Guineas betting markets this year with Manhattan Maid and Crucial paying $101 through Luxbet.
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for all the best Thousand Guineas 2011 coverage including our detailed form guide and exclusive betting tips to be published later today.
Want a risk-free bet on the Thousand Guineas? Sign up to our preferred online bookmaker Luxbet quoting the codeword BONUSBET when you make your first deposit and after receiving your $500 welcome bonus bet, check out their 2nd Place Refund Offer!
For every Group 1 race during the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival, punters will be refunded up to $250 if their horse runs second only at Luxbet!
2011 Thousand Guineas Odds
Caulfield Race 6 – 12/10/2011
|2||Hallowell Belle (9)||15.00|
|3||Bliss Street (8)||19.00|
|4||Cute Emily (1)||26.00|
|6||Celebrity Girl (2)||21.00|
|7||Manhattan Maid (5)||101.00|
|8||Atlantic Jewel (4)||1.50|
|11||Sharnee Rose (6)||15.00|
*Fixed Win Odds provided by Luxbet and subject to change