Gai Waterhouse’s five-time Group 1 winning glamour mare More Joyous is ready to return to the winners stall in the 2011 Tristarc Stakes on Caulfield Cup Day this Saturday, the More Than Ready five-year-old leading the list of nominations taken for the mares-only feature on Monday.
At nomination stage the $180,000 Group 2 Tristarc Stakes (1400m) drew 20 entries, More Joyous sitting at the top of the ballot as the highest-rated hopeful.
More Joyous resumed after a five month spell to run a credible third, beaten five and a half lengths by the winner Sepoy in the Group 1 Manikato Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on September 30.
Having come through the run well and stepping back up to her pet distance, More Joyous undefeated in three runs over 1400 metres, Waterhouse is confident heading towards the Tristarc Stakes 2011.
“A lot of trainers at Flemington have remarked to me how lovely she looks,” Waterhouse said.
“She has really trained on, muscled up and has done very well.”
More Joyous is one of the three 58.5kg top-weighted Tristarc Stakes nominations this year along with dual Group 1 winner Response and the Matthew Smith-trained Sydneysider Hurtle Myrtle, all three likely to be well-supported in the Luxbet markets if accepted.
Other notable 2011 Tristarc Stakes nominees include:
- Sister Madly (John Sadler) – Consistent Redoute’s Choice mare won the Group 3 How Now Stakes (1200m) first-up at Caulfield last month before her second to Sepoy in the Manikato Stakes, definite contender and has form over the distance and against More Joyous
- Dysphonia (Peter Snowden) – Lonhro five-year-old comes off a third to Lady Lynette in the Group 2 Blazer Stakes (1400m) at Flemington on October 2, will be better when gets up to the mile
- Screen (Peter Snowden) – Another five-year-old Lonhro mare from the Snowden stables, was impressive when hanging on in a gritty finish to win the Group 3 Golden Pendant (1200m) first-up at Rosehill on September 24, has won over the distance but Caulfield record is poor
- Sistine Angel (Andrew Noblet) – Progressive Testa Rossa four-year-old ran a good second to Temple Of Boom first-up at Flemington in the Group 2 Gilgai Stakes (1200m) on October 2, 1400m is ideal and will relish getting back to their home track
- Born To Rock (Michael Moroney) – Fastnet Rock mare comes off a good win at Moonee Valley on September 30 over 1200m carrying 58kg, will drop in weights this Saturday and has run against the best competitively having finished less than a length away third to Yosei in the Group 1 Tattersall’s Tiara (1400m) at Eagle Farm in June
See below for the complete 2011 Harrolds Tristarc Stakes nominations, weights and order of entry.
The final fields for all of the Caulfield Cup Day support races are due out tomorrow, Wednesday October 12 which is also Thousand Guineas Day 2011.
Get ready for the elite spring racing and betting action that is now in full swing by signing up with Luxbet and if you quote the exclusive promo code BONUSBET when joining and depositing you will receive up to $500 as a bonus bet!
2011 Tristarc Stakes Nominations, Weights & Ballot
|1||HURTLE MYRTLE||Matthew Smith||3||58.5kg||104|
|2||MORE JOYOUS (NZ)||Gai Waterhouse||1||58.5kg||121|
|3||RESPONSE||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||2||58.5kg||110|
|5||GOON SERPENT||David Jolly||9||57.5kg||94|
|7||SISTER MADLY||John Sadler||4||57.5kg||106|
|8||SISTINE ANGEL||Andrew Noblet||7||57.5kg||102|
|9||VARENNA MISS||Tony Noonan||8||57.5kg||105|
|10||BORN TO ROCK||Michael Moroney||10||56.5kg||97|
|11||LUCHA LIBRE (NZ)||Anthony Cummings||12||56.5kg||86|
|12||ROYAL COMMANDS||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||11||56.5kg||89|
|13||BOOKLET||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||13||55.5kg||92|
|14||I’M DISCREET||Russell Cameron||14||55kg||97|
|15||RUE MAPLE||Darren Weir||15||55kg||90|
|16||BEDLUM (NZ)||Pat Carey||19||54kg||76|
|17||MAYNEDA STRATEGY||Trent Pennuto||17||54kg||78|
|18||MISS BINDI (NZ)||Colin & Cindy Alderson||16||54kg||87|
|19||MISS MATARI||Kevin Milham||18||54kg||77|
|20||YOU I FIND||Lee & Shannon Hope||20||54kg||77|