One of the first Group features on a bumper Caulfield Cup Day programme this Saturday is the 2011 Norman Robinson Stakes which is set to be contested by a number of three-year-olds heading towards the Melbourne Cup Carnival’s Victoria Derby 2011.
Yesterday 23 hopefuls were nominated for the $125,000 Group 3 Norman Robinson Stakes (2000m) lead by the John Thompson-trained Isopach.
Sitting first on the Norman Robinson Stakes 2011 order of entry, Magic Albert gelding Isopach bounced back after two disappointing runs in September to beat a quality field in the Listed UCI Stakes (1800m) at Flemington on October 2.
The victory saw Isopach earn a possible spring grand final in the $1.5 million Group 1 Victoria Derby (2500m) at Flemington on Saturday October 29, which they will take their next step towards in this Saturday’s Norman Robinson Stakes.
In the latest pre-field Victoria Derby betting markets at Luxbet Isopach is rated a $17 chance to win.
Victoria Derby 2011 odds are currently lead by another Norman Robinson Stakes entry, Robert Hickmott’s promising stayer Collar.
2011 Victoria Derby Odds
O’Reilly three-year-old Collar however is unlikely to be accepted into the 2011 Norman Robinson Stakes field having already been paid up for a race at Caulfield’s Thousand Guineas Day tomorrow.
Other 2011 Victoria Derby-Bound Norman Robinson Stakes Nominees Include:
- Costly Commitment ($11 Luxbet) – Mick Price’s Encosta De Lago colt won over 1700m at Caulfield last month before their third in the UCI Stakes
- Zabeelionaire ($13 Luxbet) – Leon Corstens-trained son of Zabeel, bred to stay but yet to win in three career starts, last seen finishing fourth in the Group 2 Bill Stutt Stakes (1600m) at Moonee Valley
- Salter ($17 Luxbet) – Duelled gelding prepared by Robert Hickmott, ran second to Costly Commitment last-start on September 17 beaten one and a half lengths
- Vatuvei ($17 Luxbet) – Peter Moody-trained Reset gelding failed when 11th to Isopach in the UCI Stakes, tipped to improve over more distance and with a better gate
- Eagle Command ($18 Luxbet) –Gary Portelli’s Dash For Cash gelding was runner-up in the UCI Stakes where he came held on after getting caught out wide around the turn, step up in distance makes them a danger on Saturday
- Sabrage ($21 Luxbet) – Bill Stutt Stakes third placegetter on September 30, only one win form four starts over 1200 metres, will get a better picture on Michael Moroney’s Charge Forward colt after Saturday if they run
Last year the Norman Robinson Stakes winner was the now European-based Retrieve who went on to run a game third to Lion Tamer in the Victoria Derby at their next start, which makes Saturday’s showdown a good Victoria Derby betting guide for Luxbet punters.
Below is the full list of 2011 Norman Robinson Stakes nominations and weights, the final field to be released tomorrow.
While betting on the Caulfield Cup Day features is yet to open, our preferred online bookmaker Luxbet have generous early Victoria Derby odds out now for punters to get in on!
Luxbet are also where punters go for the hottest spring betting exclusives and promos including their Best Tote Exotics + 5% Bonus open on every race on every Group 1 programme this season!
2011 Norman Robinson Stakes Nominations
|1||COLLAR (NZ)||Robert Hickmott||2||56kg||80|
|2||ISOPACH||John P Thompson||1||56kg||84|
|4||BASHAN (NZ)||Richard Otto||20||55.5kg||61|
|5||CHIEFTAIN JACK||Peter G Moody||18||55.5kg||60|
|7||COSTLY COMMITMENT||Mick Price||5||55.5kg||70|
|8||EAGLE COMMAND||Gary Portelli||7||55.5kg||68|
|9||GORILLA’S MIST||Dan O’Sullivan||21||55.5kg||57|
|12||PUMP IT (NZ)||Anthony Freedman||9||55.5kg||66|
|13||RIVE GAUCHE||Jim Conlan||23||55.5kg||57|
|15||SALTER (NZ)||Robert Hickmott||12||55.5kg||64|
|16||SANGSTER (NZ)||Trent Busuttin||4||55.5kg||84|
|17||SCELTO (NZ)||Robbie Laing||8||55.5kg||64|
|18||SLEEP’N PETE||Max Hinton||17||55.5kg||62|
|19||THE DEEP SOUTH (NZ)||Michael Moroney||13||55.5kg||64|
|20||THE SATIRIST||Peter Healey||19||55.5kg||60|
|21||VATUVEI||Peter G Moody||22||55.5kg||62|
|22||ZABEELIONAIRE (NZ)||Leon Corstens||11||55.5kg||66|
|23||FALLEN ONE||Grahame Begg||16||53.5kg||62|