Today saw the number of hopeful horses in the ‘Big 3’ Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival features reduced with first declarations taken for the Melbourne Cup, and third declarations released for both the Caulfield Cup and 2011 Cox Plate, which has had an impact especially on the betting markets for Australasia’s weight-for-age championship.
Due to run at Moonee Valley on Saturday October 22, there are now just 37 gallopers vying for a spot in the $3 million Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) final field for 2011.
This number has reduced by 22 since Cox Plate second declarations last month.
Australia’s premier online bookmaker Luxbet has already released their updated Cox Pate 2011 betting markets following third acceptances today.
The top two Cox Plate betting favourites Jimmy Choux ($5) and Helmet ($8), who runs in the $1 million Group 1 Caulfield Guineas (1600m) this Saturday, remain at the same price as they were prior third declarations, however there have been a number of notable market movers.
2011 Cox Plate Odds
Futures all-in betting showing top 24 horses.
In a side-note, the Peter Snowden-trained Helmet is one of only two three-year-olds left vying for the title of 2011 Cox Plate winner along with fellow Caulfield Guineas rival Smart Missile.
2011 Cox Plate Betting Market Movers Following Third Declarations Include:
- Lion Tamer ($11 into $8 Luxbet)
- Whobegotyou ($13 into $9.50 Luxbet)
- My Kingdom Of Fife ($13 into $12 Luxbet)
Underwood Stakes winner Lion Tamer has firmed in from $11 to $8 at Luxbet with connections of the in-form Kiwi galloper confirming they will focus solely on the Cox Plate, choosing not to pay the third declaration fee for them in the $2.5 million Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m)
Winner of the Victoria Derby last spring carnival, four-year-old Lion Tamer gets their chance to further prove their Cox Plate potential this Saturday when they contest the Group 1 Caulfield Stakes (2000m).
Other Cox Plate third acceptors that dropped out of contention for the Caulfield Cup include:
- King’s Rose ($26 Luxbet) – One of three horses still in Cox Plate contention for Peter Moody, former Kiwi mare is unbeaten in Australia from two starts and will vie for her maiden elite level win down under this Saturday in the Toorak Handicap
- Playing God ($26 Luxbet) – Neville Parnham’s Group 1 winning WA raider, Blackfriars four-year-old Playing God ran an eye-catching third to Caulfield Cup favourite December Draw in the Turnbull Stakes on Sunday and is dually nominated for the Caulfield Stakes and Toorak Handicap this weekend
- Rekindled Interest ($13 Luxbet) – Jim Conlan-trained four-year-old is proving to be a Moonee Valley track specialist having won the AAMI Vase there last sprint and the Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes over the mile there two starts back
- Lights Of Heaven ($26 Luxbet) – Another Moody-trained mare, was a one-time favourite for the Caulfield Cup this year but has failed in her last three runs including a last-start ninth to Lion Tamer in the Underwood
Two internationally-trained horses are also still in Cox Plate 2011 calculations with defending Melbourne Cup winner Americain and the Luca Cumani-trained former Chilean racehorse Sahara Sun.
The 2011 Cox Plate final field of acceptances will be released on Tuesday October 18 and published right here at Races.com.au.
You don’t have to wait to place your Cox Plate bets however as right now Luxbet are offering the juiciest futures odds on all 37 third acceptors.
So sign up with Luxbet now to get in on the action and if you join by the end of the spring carnival quoting the codeword BONUSBET when making your first deposit, Luxbet will instantly credit you with a bonus bet valued up to $500!
2011 Cox Plate Third Declarations & Weights
|2||AMERICAIN (USA)||Alain de Royer Dupre||59kg|
|3||AT FIRST SIGHT (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||59kg|
|4||DESCARADO (NZ)||Gai Waterhouse||59kg|
|5||EFFICIENT (NZ)||Robert Hickmott||59kg|
|6||GLASS HARMONIUM (IRE)||Michael Moroney||59kg|
|8||LOVE CONQUERS ALL||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||59kg|
|9||LUEN YAT FOREVER||Peter G Moody||59kg|
|10||MIDAS TOUCH (GB)||Robert Hickmott||59kg|
|11||MY KINGDOM OF FIFE (GB)||Chris Waller||59kg|
|12||UNUSUAL SUSPECT (USA)||Michael Kent||59kg|
|13||WALL STREET (NZ)||Jeff Lynds||59kg|
|16||BLACKIE (NZ)||Michael Kent||57.5kg|
|17||FAST CLIP||Gai Waterhouse||57.5kg|
|18||JIMMY CHOUX (NZ)||John Bary||57.5kg|
|19||LION TAMER (NZ)||Murray Baker||57.5kg|
|20||PLAYING GOD||Neville Parnham||57.5kg|
|21||REKINDLED INTEREST||Jim Conlan||57.5kg|
|22||SAHARA SUN (CHI)||Luca Cumani||57.5kg|
|24||TOORAK TOFF||Rick Hore-Lacy||57.5kg|
|25||TORIO’S QUEST||Brett Partelle||57.5kg|
|29||KING’S ROSE (NZ)||Peter G Moody||55.5kg|
|30||LIGHTS OF HEAVEN (NZ)||Peter G Moody||55.5kg|
|31||PINKER PINKER||Greg Eurell||55.5kg|
|32||SECRET ADMIRER||Grahame Begg||55.5kg|
|33||SHAMROCKER (NZ)||Danny O’Brien||55.5kg|
|34||SOUTHERN SPEED||Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas||55.5kg|
|37||SMART MISSILE||Anthony Cummings||49.5kg|