The top three finishers in last month’s Golden Rose showdown in Sydney will face off again this Saturday at Caulfield with Manawanui, Smart Missile and Helmet leading this morning’s acceptances for the 2011 Caulfield Guineas final field.
This year’s $1 million Group 1 Caulfield Guineas (1600m) has drawn a final field of just eight three-year-olds with last-start Prelude winner Helmet set to jump race favourite through Luxbet.
After their third place finish in the Golden Rose, Peter Snowden’s dual Group 1 winning Exceed And Excel colt Helmet returned to winning form with their authoritative three and a half length victory in the Caulfield Guineas Prelude on September 24.
In an early blow for the Caulfield Guineas 2011 betting favourite, Helmet has drawn the far outside barrier and will jump from gate eight of eight with Kerrin McEvoy in the mount.
Already an elite level winner over the mile, however, Helmet has the form and class to overcome their awkward gate which is the widest they have ever started from.
In the pre-field Caulfield Guineas odds at Luxbet, Helmet was already the short-priced $2.70 favourite, his price set to firm when updated markets are released later today.
Following Helmet in the 2011 Caulfield Guineas field and betting are:
- Smart Missile (Anthony Cummings) – Fastnet Rock colt out for their elusive Group 1 title having been denied in the Golden Rose, many say to a bad ride from Glen Boss, and then again last-start when a horror barrier 17 of 17 draw hampered their chances in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on September 24 where they finished four and a half lengths away 10th to Toorak Toff. Will get a much nicer ride from gate two in the Caulfield Guineas, a jockey still to be named.
- Chase The Rainbow (Rick Hore-Lacy) – A short turnaround for this promising son of Dash For Cash who recorded a smart victory in the Group 2 Bill Stutt Stakes over the Moonee Valley mile last Friday night. Their only look at Caulfield was on debut when they ran 11th back in July, but with form over the distance is a genuine danger from barrier seven, one inside the favourite.
- Manawanui (Ron Leemon) – In-form Oratorio gelding boasts an excellent record of five wins from six starts, their only loss being on debut as two-year-old at Canterbury back in March. A triple stakes winner and form over these horses thanks to their Golden Rose upset, comes off an easy win in the Stan Fox Stakes (1500m) at Rosehill which was really just a gallop ahead of their Melbourne debut on Saturday where they will jump from the ideal barrier three with Glyn Schofield aboard.
Rounding out the Caulfield Guineas 2011 field are:
- The Peter Moody-trained More Than Ready colt Huegill coming off a mid-week win at Sandown, out to give Moody back-to-back wins following the success of the since-retired Anacheeva 12 months ago
- Mick Price’s progressive Starcraft gelding Secret Hills with the inside running from barrier one as they look to improve on their last-start second to Helmet in the Prelude
- The Anthony Freedman-trained Caulfield Guineas third-placegetter Specter who previously defeated Guineas rivals Chase The Rainbow and Secret Hills in the listed Henry Bucks Best Dressed Stakes (1400m) at Flemington
- John Symon’s General Nediym colt General Offer who was a $301 roughie in the ante-post Caulfield Guineas odds at Luxbet earlier this week and who is untested in black-type company
Notable non-acceptors for the Caulfield Guineas field this year include Collar, That’s The One and Rekindled Alliance.
See below for the complete 2011 The Age Caulfield Guineas field, barriers, jockeys and weights.
2011 Caulfield Guineas Final Field & Barrier Draw
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Br.||Wgt.||Hcp. Rating|
|1||311X111||MANAWANUI||Ron Leemon||Glyn Schofield||3||56.5kg||104|
|2||3X1111X331||HELMET||Peter Snowden||Kerrin McEvoy||8||56.5kg||104|
|3||1X1X120||SMART MISSILE||Anthony Cummings||–||2||56.5kg||104|
|4||01121||CHASE THE RAINBOW||Rick Hore-Lacy||Dean Yendall||7||56.5kg||93|
|5||1X213||SPECTER||Anthony Freedman||Nicholas Hall||6||56.5kg||84|
|6||8X11X332||SECRET HILLS||Mick Price||Craig Newitt||1||56.5kg||80|
|7||3X511||HUEGILL||Peter G Moody||Luke Nolen||4||56.5kg||72|
|8||462134X53||GENERAL OFFER||John Symons & Sheila Laxon||Danny Nikolic||5||56.5kg||64|