Following on from the elite Sydney Spring Carnival racing action of Epsom Super Saturday, this weekend Flemington Racecourse will host a crack day of black-type racing on Sunday headlined by the 2011 Turnbull Stakes.
The latest race offering 2011 Caulfield Cup ballot exemption to the winner, the $500,000 Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) attracted 19 horses at nomination stage today.
A collection of many of the season’s top stayers make up the Turnbull Stakes 2011 nominations including the Mark Kavanagh-trained December Draw.
The in-form import currently sits at the top of the Luxbet markets for the $2.5 million Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) on October 15 at a quote of $3.70.
Winner of the Naturalism Stakes at Caulfield last-start on September 17, December Draw is already exempt from ballot for the Caulfield Cup and is also eyeing a start in the lucrative $6.2 million Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m) at Flemington on the first Tuesday of November.
2011 Caulfield Cup Odds
Futures all-in betting showing top 24 horses.
December Draw has been nominated for multiple races this weekend, Kavanagh keeping options open with the horse also entered for the Group 3 JRA Cup (2040m) at Moonee Valley on Friday night and the $200,000 Listed The Bart Cummings (2500m) at Flemington on Sunday.
Kavanagh, however, only entered December Draw for the other races as a precaution in case they were balloted out of the Turnbull Stakes.
With only 19 nominations and a field limit of 18 starters plus four emergencies, it seems a safe bet that it is the 2011 Turnbull Stakes field December Draw will be racing in this weekend.
Other horses high up the 2011 Caulfield Cup Odds nominated for the Turnbull Stakes include:
- At First Sight ($11 Luxbet) – One of five Turnbull Stakes nominations from Robert Hickmott, imported Galileo four-year-old ran a game second to December Draw in the Naturalism last-start over the distance
- Midas Touch ($11 Luxbet) – Fellow Hickmott-trained Galileo four-year-old, comes off two eye-catching thirds behind Littorio in the Group 2 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) at Flemington and to Lion Tamer in the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m) at Caulfield, Group 2 winner over the 2000m in Europe
- Absolutely ($16 Luxbet) – Mick Kent-trained Redoute’s Choice mare won the Group 1 AJC Oaks at Randwick last season, has had two runs this season beaten both times by Peter Moody’s Kiwi mare King’s Rose, set to improve when seeing the 2000m for the first time this prep
- Glass Harmonium ($21 Luxbet) – Michael Moroney’s quality import will be third-up for the season, most recently ran fourth in the Underwood Stakes, 2000m will still be short of their best
- Precedence ($21 Luxbet) – Prepared by legendary Melbourne Cup trainer Bart Cummings this Zabeel six-year-old is out to break an 11 month drought and win their first since the Group 2 Moonee Valley Gold Cup (2500m) last October
Further down the Caulfield Cup betting markets are Turnbull Stakes entries including:
- Rekindled Interest ($26 Luxbet) – One of three horses exempt from Caulfield Cup elimination, Jim Conlan’s four-year-old won the Group 2 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) at the Valley last time out, hasn’t won at Flemington before but will like the distance having taken out last year’s AAMI Vase over a similar 2040m
- Shamrocker ($26 Luxbet) – Equal fifth on the Caulfield Cup ballot with Midas Touch and My Kingdom Of Fife, Danny O’Brien’s dual Classics winner has been off her game having been well beaten in both her runs back this prep, most recently defeated 15 lengths when 13th of 14 runners in the Underwood, vets have cleared and connections assure she is fine?
- Alcopop ($26 Luxbet) – Not yet assured of a start in the Caulfield Cup sitting equal 13th on the order of entry but this popular South Australian galloper looks to have bounced back to their best form winning the Penny Edition first-up at home before travelling to Melbourne and running a close second in the Dato on September 10
- Trusting ($26 Luxbet) – John Thompson-trained five-year-old was the impressive four length winner of the Group 2 hill Stakes (2000m) at Rosehill on September 17, before which they claimed the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes over the mile at Warwick Farm, also nominated for the Epsom Handicap and The Metropolitan at Randwick on Saturday with a decision pending on which race they will accept for
Rounding out the Turnbull Stakes 2011 nominations are Lloyd Williams’ grey galloper Linton, WA raider Playing God, 2007 Melbourne Cup winner Efficient who enjoyed Turnbull Stakes success two years ago, David Hayes’ last-start Caulfield winner Extra Zero, Moody’s King’s Rose out for her third win of the season, Hickmott-trained Mourayan, evergreen seven-year-old Raffaello, American import Unusual Suspect ran a good fourth on debut down under in the Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes and Underwood Stakes runner-up Southern Speed.
The Turnbull Stakes final field and barrier draw is due for release this Thursday, as are the odds on the set weights feature.
So bookmark us here at Races.com.au for all the latest Turnbull Stakes updates and to ensure you get the best odds on the race this weekend, sign up with our preferred online bookmaker Luxbet today.
2011 Turnbull Stakes Nominations
|3||AT FIRST SIGHT (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||106|
|4||DECEMBER DRAW (IRE)||Mark Kavanagh||105|
|5||EFFICIENT (NZ)||Robert Hickmott||116|
|6||EXTRA ZERO||David Hayes||98|
|7||GLASS HARMONIUM (IRE)||Michael Moroney||110|
|8||KING’S ROSE (NZ)||Peter G Moody||109|
|10||MIDAS TOUCH (GB)||Robert Hickmott||112|
|11||MOURAYAN (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||106|
|12||PLAYING GOD||Neville Parnham||110|
|13||PRECEDENCE (NZ)||Bart Cummings||109|
|14||RAFFAELLO||Patrick F Ryan||100|
|15||REKINDLED INTEREST||Jim Conlan||109|
|16||SHAMROCKER (NZ)||Danny O’Brien||110|
|17||SOUTHERN SPEED||Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas||103|
|18||TRUSTING||John P Thompson||112|
|19||UNUSUAL SUSPECT (USA)||Michael Kent||110|