Thankgodyou’rehere has opened as the narrow favourite to return to the winners stall for the first time in 10 months this Saturday at Rosehill and win the Bill Ritchie Handicap 2011, but there is another galloper hot on their heels in Queensland raider Startsmeup.
Betting on all of the 2011 George Main Stakes Day races is now open at leading online bookmaker Luxbet, including those for the opening Group race on the card, the $125,000 Group 3 Bill Ritchie Handicap (1400m).
Du to jump as Rosehill Race 2 at 1:30pm (local), the 2011 Bill Ritchie Handicap is already shaping up as a two horse race between the Patrick & Wayne Webster-trained Thankgodyou’rehere and Bruce Hill’s Startsmeup.
Opening Bill Ritchie Handicap odds at Luxbet slightly favour the always honest Secret Savings six-year-old Thankgodyou’rehere who is at a quote of $2.40.
Just behind them in the markets is Danzero four-year-old Startsmeup paying $2.50 to become the Bill Ritchie Handicap winner.
The favoured duo are drawn at opposite ends of the Bill Ritchie field, Thankgodyou’rehere to have the inside run from barrier one while Startsmeup has work to do from the far outside gate eight.
So what does the Bill Ritchie Handicap form guide say?
Bill Ritchie Handicap Result 1 – Startsmeup beats Thankgodyou’rehere
- Startsmeup (53kg) meets Thankgodyou’re here (56kg top-weight) three kilos better in the weights, which is a huge advantage for a horse that has carried between 55.5kg – 59.5kg at their last four starts
- Startsmeup has raced very competitively at Group 2 level from a wide draw before, running a close third behind Pinwheel and Ilovethiscity in the Group 2 Warwick Stakes (1400m) two starts back on a Heavy Warwick Farm track
- They drop back from a mile to 1400 metres after running sixth in the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) and have a great record over 1400 metres having only finished out of the top three once in their six attempts
Bill Ritchie Handicap Result 2 – Thankgodyou’rehere beats Startsmup
- Startsmeup has not seen Rosehill before, whereas Thankgodyou’rehere won over 1200 metres at the tack, the last time they were here, in September last year
- Thankgodyou’rehere looked close to peak fitness when they overcame an awkward double-digit draw to come within a length of Sincero when third in the Group 3 Tramway Handicap (1400m) at Warwick Farm last-start on September 3
- May be a long time between drinks, Thankgodyou’rehere’s last win being the Group 3 Hawkesbury Gold Cup (1600m) last November, but they have since then run second at elite level and have been beaten by three lengths or less every start since, bar their three and a half lengths away fifth in the Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m)
Co-trainer Wayne Webster is a firm supporter of Thankgodyoure’here breaking the drought on Saturday with the Bill Ritchie looking the galloper’s ideal race.
“For sure, this is the most winnable race he has been in for a while,” he said.
“A fortnight ago it took two Group One winners to beat him.
“He’s gone on well since his last run and I’m very happy with him.”
Who are the other 2011 Bill Ritchie Handicap contenders?
Two other horses are at single-figures in the Luxbet markets with Joe Pride’s last-start Warwick Farm winning five-year-old Tom’s Rocket paying $6 to win their first ever black-type test and the Graeme Murray-trained Kenny’s World at $9 whose last race win was a year ago in the Group 3 Cameron Handicap (1300m) at Newcastle.
See below for the Bill Ritchie betting odds then to lock in your picks at the best prices, head over to Luxbet and open your new account depositing and quoting the codeword BONUSBET for a $400 bonus bet!
2011 Bill Ritchie Handicap Odds
|1||TRIPLE ELEGANCE (6)||–|
|3||KENNY’S WORLD (4)||9.00|
|4||RED LORD (2)||81.00|
|6||MISS KEEPSAKE (7)||21.00|
|7||BAY WINDOW (3)||31.00|
|8||TOM’S ROCKET (8)||6.00|
|9||CHARING CROSS (5)||18.00|
*Fixed Win Odds courtesy of Luxbet and subject to change