Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
A star-studded line-up of 2011 Melbourne Cup hopefuls have been entered for the feature race at Caulfield this Saturday, 23 nominations taken today for the Underwood Stakes 2011.
Headlining a bumper race card that includes many crucial lead-up races to the Melbourne Spring Carnival majors is the $350,000 Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m).
A race won 12 months ago by dual Cox Plate hero So You Think, the 2011 Underwood Stakes is sure to play a key role in the betting markets for the upcoming features including the $3 million Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley on October 22 and the $6.2 million Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m) at Flemington on Tuesday November 1, 2011.
Early 2011 Melbourne Cup betting favourite at Luxbet is the Danny O’Brien-trained Shamrocker at a quote of $11, the dual Classics winner one of the drawcard Underwood Stakes nominees.
After resuming with a first-up eighth behind King’s Rose in the Group 2 Memsie Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on August 27, Shamrocker is likely to be well-supported in the Underwood Stakes odds this weekend as she steps up to the 1800 metres.
Other major Melbourne Cup 2011 contenders nominated for the Underwood this weekend include:
- Scarlett Lady ($14): Graeme Rogerson’s Kiwi sensation kicking off her spring campaign down under after winning the Doomben Roses – Queensland Oaks double in Brisbane last season
- Lion Tamer ($15): Last year’s Victoria Derby winner is back in Victoria seeking more success this season, resumed with a brave fourth to Mufhasa in the Group 1 Challenge Stakes (1400m) at home in New Zealand
- Maluckyday ($15): Runner-up to Americain in the Melbourne Cup last year, Zabeel five-year-old failed to hit form since and comes off a first-up eighth behind Trusting in the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) at Warwick Farm on September 3
- Absolutely ($18): Michael Kent’s Redoute’s Choice mare won the AJC Oaks as a three-year-old during the autumn, has had two runs this season including last Saturday’s sixth in the Memsie Stakes, will improve over more distance
- Lights Of Heaven ($18): One time Caulfield Cup favourite, Peter Moody’s Group 1 winner at Morphettville is out to bounce back having suffered her first two career defeats back-to-back this season when second to Whobegotyou in the Group 2 PB Lawrence Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on August 13 and then fifth in the Group 2 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) to the since-retired Littorio at Flemington on September 3
- Glass Harmonium ($21): Michael Moroney’s ultra-consistent European import is yet to finish out of the placings since debuting down under in the winter, ran an eye-catching second in the Makybe Diva in their new-season debut
Every Underwood Stakes nominee this year is a noteworthy one with other key contenders including Mick Price’s close Memsie Stakes runner-up Heart Of Dreams, gun WA galloper Playing God and Robert Hickmott-trained quartet of Alandi, At First Sight, Midas Touch and former Melbourne Cup winner Efficient.
Bookmark us here at Races.com.au to get all the latest Underwood Stakes field, betting and race updates.
In the meantime, get ready for the Saturday racing action by opening your Luxbet account today.
Luxbet already have juicy futures odds open on a range of Group One showdowns including the Melbourne Cup and also have a $400 bonus bet on offer to all new depositing punters that quote the codeword BONUSBET!
2011 Underwood Stakes Nominations & Weights
|1||ALANDI (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||12||59kg||109|
|2||AT FIRST SIGHT (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||14||59kg||105|
|3||EFFICIENT (NZ)||Robert Hickmott||1||59kg||119|
|4||GLASS HARMONIUM (IRE)||Michael Moroney||15||59kg||110|
|5||HEART OF DREAMS||Mick Price||4||59kg||115|
|6||MALUCKYDAY (NZ)||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||6||59kg||108|
|7||MASTER O’REILLY (NZ)||Judy Mawer||2||59kg||103|
|8||MIDAS TOUCH (GB)||Robert Hickmott||7||59kg||111|
|9||MY BENTLEY (NZ)||Michael Kent||22||59kg||99|
|10||PRECEDENCE (NZ)||Bart Cummings||11||59kg||109|
|11||TRUSTING||John P Thompson||13||59kg||110|
|12||UNUSUAL SUSPECT (USA)||Michael Kent||5||59kg||109|
|13||LION TAMER (NZ)||Murray Baker||9||58kg||110|
|14||PLAYING GOD||Neville Parnham||10||58kg||110|
|15||RIGHT OF REFUSAL||Nigel Blackiston||21||58kg||89|
|16||SIERRA NEVADA (NZ)||Richard Otto||23||58kg||75|
|17||EXCEPTIONALLY (NZ)||Terry & Karina O’Sullivan||19||57kg||99|
|19||BRAZILIAN PULSE (NZ)||Michael Moroney||8||56kg||105|
|20||LIGHTS OF HEAVEN (NZ)||Peter G Moody||18||56kg||105|
|21||SCARLETT LADY (NZ)||Graeme & Debbie Rogerson||16||56kg||104|
|22||SHAMROCKER (NZ)||Danny O’Brien||3||56kg||112|
|23||SOUTHERN SPEED||Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas||20||56kg||92|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.