High quality mare Prompt Response is in the mix...
The release of this Saturday’s 2011 AJC Derby Day final fields has seen 10 brave rivals accepted to take on the queen, Black Caviar, in the $1 million Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes (1200m) at Randwick.
Peter Moody’s superstar mare Black Caviar, recently crowned the world’s highest-rated thoroughbred, makes her Sydney debut on Saturday as she looks to record an unprecedented 12th consecutive metro win from as many starts.
After taking out her fourth elite level win in the Group 1 William Reid Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on March 25, Black Caviar is set to again start odds-on in the TJ Smith Stakes.
Despite facing a classy field full of other Group 1 winners, Black Caviar has proved she is in a realm of her own and bookmakers are predicting she will start at a price around $1.06 on Saturday.
Black Caviar went into the William Reid Stakes as the $1.09 favourite.
Her first run the Sydney way of going won’t deter the punters, as Moody has ensured she is ready for the challenge.
“She galloped the Sydney way over half a mile and worked super (on Tuesday),” Moody said.
“There’s not much more to say.”
Black Caviar also fared well in the TJ Smith Stakes barrier draw coming up with gate five, two of her three Group 1 victories this season having been from a comparable barrier six start.
Among the other TJ Smith Stakes acceptors this year are seven individual Group 1 winners:
- Shoot Out (John Wallace) – Resuming Gold Coast galloper first-up for the season after their Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup campaign last spring. Will benefit from a wet track and has drawn ideally in barrier two with Corey Brown in the mount.
- Response (Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra) – Classy Charge Forward mare won the Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) at Morphettville last start, ran fourth to Black Caviar in the Newmarket the run before that.
- All Silent (Grahame Begg) – Locally trained seven-year-old resuming after a five month spell, was seven lengths away fourth to Black Caviar in the Group 1 Patinack Farm Classic (1200m) last start on Emirates Stakes Day.
- Hay List (John McNair) – Ultra consistent State Of Liberty gelding, tipped as Black Caviar’s biggest danger in the Patinack during the spring before finishing sixth. Came up against her first-up this season in the Lightning Stakes running a closer second and comes off a win in the Group 2 Challenge Stakes (1000m) at Warwick Farm on March 27. Worked at Gosford on Tuesday morning and showed improvement since his last-start win but has wide barrier 10 draw.
- Alverta (Paul Messara) – Flying Spur mare won the Coolmore Classic in March of last year before a stint overseas, her best performance of which was a third to Starspangledbanner in the Group 1 July Cup (1207m) in July last year. The TJ Smith Stakes will be first Australian run in over 12 months.
- Triple Honour (Chris Waller) – Honours List six-year-old first-up for the season after mixed results last year, out wide in barrier nine.
- Crystal Lily (Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zhara) – Previous Golden Slipper winning filly has drawn well in barrier three and is the 54.5kg lightweight. Becoming customary for this Stratum three-year-old to finish second to Black Caviar having done so at her two most recent starts beaten three lengths in the Newmarket and then 1 ¾ lengths away in the William Reid.
Rounding out the 2011 Darley TJ Smith Stakes field are the Chris Waller-trained Shellscrape (barrier six), Peter Snowden’s Lonhro four-year-old Demerit (barrier one) coming off a game third to More Joyous in the Canterbury Stakes on March 19 and stablemate to the favourite Hinchinbrook (barrier four).
The TJ Smith Stakes will run as Randwick Race 5 at 2:20pm (AEST) on Saturday, one of three Group 1 features on the card along with the $1.5 million AJC Australian Derby (2400m) for three-year-olds and the $500,000 Sires Produce Stakes (1400m) for two-year-olds.
2011 TJ Smith Stakes Field, Barriers & Weights
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Barrier||Weight||Hcp. Rating|
|1||21X1116X21||HAY LIST||John McNair||Glyn Schofield||10||58.5kg||115|
|2||X11333440X||SHOOT OUT||John Wallace||Corey Brown||2||58.5kg||115|
|3||18X05X504X||ALL SILENT||Grahame Begg||Brenton Avdulla||11||58.5kg||114|
|4||X24230064X||TRIPLE HONOUR (NZ)||Chris Waller||Jim Cassidy||9||58.5kg||112|
|7||X1X111X111||BLACK CAVIAR||Peter G Moody||Luke Nolen||5||56.5kg||126|
|8||23121X037X||ALVERTA||Paul Messara||Hugh Bowman||8||56.5kg||111|
|9||X22103X741||RESPONSE||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||Dwayne Dunn||7||56.5kg||111|
|10||3X0373X363||HINCHINBROOK||Peter G Moody||Brad Rawiller||4||56.5kg||101|
|11||111X20X522||CRYSTAL LILY||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||Stephen Baster||3||54.5kg||112|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.