There is now just over a week to go before the showcase event of the Sydney Autumn Carnival, the 2011 Golden Slipper Stakes, takes place at Rosehill Gardens and here the Races.com.au team take a look at the latest Golden Slipper field and odds update.
The $3.5 million Group 1 Golden Slipper (1200m) is the richest juveniles feature in the world and will run as part of a bumper programme at Sydney’s iconic Rosehill Racecourse on Saturday April 2.
There are currently over 250 two-year-olds still vying for a spot in the Golden Slipper field this year after second acceptances were taken in early February.
On Monday March 28 the 2011 Golden Slipper final field will be released and published first here at Races.com.au.
Now is the time, however, to get in on the Golden Slipper betting markets with generous odds currently available on all the nominees at Luxbet.
Below we have a look at the newest Golden Slipper 2011 odds and early favourites to win the prestigious showdown.
2011 Golden Slipper Betting Favourites
- Sepoy ($2.80 Luxbet) – Darley-owned colt remains the dominant favourite despite suffering his first defeat last Saturday in the Group 2 Todman Stakes (1200m) on an unsuitably wet track
- Smart Missile ($6 Luxbet) – Anthony Cumming’s upset Todman Stakes winner, only two-year-old to defeat Sepoy to date, the Fastnet Rock colt unbeaten in his two career starts and would be the most lightly-raced Golden Slipper winner in history
- Foxwedge ($8.50 Luxbet) – John O’Shea-trained colt also by sire Fastnet Rock, won first two starts before finishing an eye-catching third in the Todman Stakes
- Elite Falls ($9 Luxbet) – Another from stables of O’Shea, More Than Ready filly the best-backed female in the Slipper odds after coming into contention with a smart victory over beaten favourite Satin Shoes in the Group 2 Reisling Stakes (1200m) at Rosehill last weekend
- Satin Shoes ($11 Luxbet) – Clarry Conner’s former Golden Slipper second-favourite before her unbeaten record came to an end in the Reisling Stakes, still smart and has claims if track dry
- Karuta Queen ($13 Luxbet) – Magic Millions 2YO Classic winning Not A Single Doubt filly, one time favourite in the Golden Slipper betting before her flawless record was tainted with a defeat in the Black Opal Stakes a fortnight ago
- Shared Reflections ($16 Luxbet) – Gai Waterhouse-trained filly claimed a tidy victory in the Group 3 Sweet Embrace Stakes (1200m) on March 12 at Warwick Farm earning her a shot at the Slipper
Leading online bookmaker Luxbet have Win and Place odds available on all the early Golden Slipper entries.
This means there’s plenty of top two-year-olds paying very generously to cause an upset Golden Slipper result Saturday week and great prices for the Fixed Place on these contenders.
Notable Roughies in 2011 Golden Slipper Odds
- Fast And Sexy ($31 Luxbet) – Local Chris Waller-trained Fastnet Rock filly finished third in the Reisling Stakes last start
- Running Tall ($71 Luxbet) – Improving Stratum colt prepared by Danny O’Brien, ran seventh to Sepoy in the Blue Diamond Stakes before scoring a top two length victory in the Group 2 VRC Sires Produce Stakes (1400m) at Flemington on March 12
- Masthead ($101 Luxbet) – Lee Freedman’s Written Tycoon colt ran third in the Blue Diamond before finishing fourth to Running Tall in the Produce Stakes, comes back in contention over shorter 1200m distance
This Saturday March 26 Rosehill Guineas Day features two events offering a Golden Slipper ballot exemption for the winner.
The $175,000 Group 2 Pago Pago Stakes (1200m) for colts and geldings and the $175,000 Group 2 Magic Night Stakes (1200m) for fillies will see the winner of each get a guaranteed start in the 2011 Golden Slipper field.
Many of the hopefuls facing off in these set weight features are well down the Golden Slipper odds at Luxbet and now is the time to back them at their juicy prices before markets firm following the Rosehill race results from Saturday.