There’s been plenty of off field action in regards to the 2011 Golden Slipper with seemingly the only consistent being the ever shortening price of favourite Sepoy.In fact Sepoy is well and truly on track to become the shortest priced Golden Slipper favourite in history, with a good win in this weekend’s Todman Slipper Trial to all but guarantee a flood of money pushing his odds well into odds on territory.
He’s already at even money with online bookmaker Luxbet, hovering above the mark of Alinghi which jumped at $1.70 in 2004 before finishing third.
Previous to that Imagele started at 4/9 or $1.44 in the 1973 race before falling with two other horses mid-race.
These facts may add to the cautiousness of trainer Peter Snowden who is far from getting carried away by having the likely odds on favourite.
“You need to be 125 per cent to win a Golden Slipper, you can’t be 95 per cent fit,” Snowden said.
“Sepoy worked well this morning and running him on Saturday will ensure he is as fit as possible for the grand final.
“He’s a natural athlete, runs amazing times, and enjoys his work. I can’t fill him up at home so I feel he needs this run.”
Check out the full 2011 Golden Slipper Field & Odds Comparison.
As we mentioned before there’s been plenty taking place in the background of the Golden Slipper as well.
- Glissade was well in the running for gaining a berth in the field but after pulling her out of the Blue Diamond Stakes late in February, Peter Snowden has now withdrawn her from the rest of the Autumn Carnival.
He said at the time it was only a minor issue but if she wasn’t fully fit she would be spelled.
- Damien Oliver has stepped up to the plate and will fill the shoes of Nash Rawiller on board Shared Reflections.
- Rawiller meanwhile has been confirmed as the rider for potential giant killer Foxwedge.
- Glen Boss has snared the mount of the smokey Smart Missile in the Todman and will have him again if he lines up in the major in two weeks time.
- Golden Archer did not accept a spot in the 2011 Todman Slipper Trial and will instead run tonight at Moonee Valley in the $100,000 St Albans Stakes.
You can follow all the latest 2011 Golden Slipper betting information by registering an account now at Luxbet.
In a crazy move they’ll even let you use your free bet right now on the raging hot favourite Sepoy.
Just take five minutes to create an account and then make your initial deposit and it’ll be matched right up to $400!
Move quickly though, with a big win this weekend this insane opportunity on Sepoy may not last long!
Photo courtesy (c) Taron Clarke Photography