Always seeking value in the betting markets for our readers, however, here the Races.com.au team take a look and ask Does Star Witness Have Claims to Defeat Black Caviar in the Newmarket Handicap?
The undeniable form and facts supporting Black Caviar’s $1.25 price in the Newmarket Handicap odds are there for all to see.
She is a superstar, prepared by Moody, the World Champion Sprinter, unbeaten in nine and possibly undefeatable for her 10th in the $1 million Group 1 Newmarket Handicap (1200m) on Saturday.
With the favourite at such short odds and all the hype and pre-race attention solely focused on Black Caviar, it is easy to forget the quality of the rivals she faces in the Newmarket Handicap field.
A runner that has possible claims to cause one of the biggest upset Flemington race results in history is Star Witness.
Danny O’Brien’s talented three-year-old resumed with a first-up third behind Enjin Number Nine in the Listed Manfred Stakes (1300m) and Sandown on February 9.
Now the two-time Group 1 winning son of Starcraft must face off against Black Caviar for the third time in his career.
Star Witness was defeated by four lengths when he first met-up with Black Caviar finishing fourth in the Group 2 Schillaci Stakes (1000m) at Caulfield on October 9, 2010.
Then in the Patinack Farm Classic on Emirates Stakes Day last spring he was again four lengths away, this time in second place.
She has since gone on to win another Group 1 and further stamp her authority over the Australian racing scene.
But has Star Witness improved enough since then to provide a genuine challenge in the Newmarket Handicap 2011?
Why Star Witness Can Win the 2011 Newmarket Handicap
– A dual Group 1 winner having taken out 2010 Blue Diamond Stakes at just his third career start and then the 2010 Coolmore Stud Stakes (over 1200m at Flemington) during the spring
– Star Witness is one of only five Newmarket hopefuls that have run and won at this track and distance including his Group 1 Coolmore Stud Stakes win
– His record at the track and distance is 2 1-1-0, his second place finish being behind Black Caviar in the Group 1 Patinack Farm Classic last November
– Has drawn ideally in barrier two with Ben Melham in the mount
– Is the right age as a 3YO as 2010 Newmarket Handicap winner Wanted won 12 months ago during their three-year-old season
– Has a decent second-up record having won one of his two starts when resuming
– Meets Black Caviar 5kg better under the Handicap conditions of the race, Star Witness set to carry just 53kg, this is a massive 6kg drop back in weight from the 59kg he had for the Manfred
Why Star Witness Can’t be the 2011 Newmarket Handicap Winner
– Black Caviar
– Black Caviar
– Black Caviar
2011 Newmarket Handicap Horse Form
#5 Star Witness (2)
(by Starcraft from Leone Chiara)
- Weight: 53kg
- Trainer: Danny O’Brien
- Jockey: Ben Melham
- Prize Money: $1,182,200
- Career: 9-4-1-2
- 1200m: 4-2-1-0
- Win %: 44
- Place %: 78
- Current Newmarket Handicap Odds: $16 – Bet on Star Witness at Luxbet now
Star Witness Form – Recent Starts
|Pos.||Track||Date||Dist.||Track Con.||Class||Jockey (Br.)||Wgt.||Odds||Winner||Margin||Win. Time|
|3 – 7||SANH||9/02/2011||1300||Good||3G4SWT||S W ARNOLD (1)||59||$1.8||ENJIN NUMBER NINE||3.3L||76.66|
|2 – 7||FLEM||6/11/2010||1200||Good||G1WFA||J WINKS (5)||53.5||$7||BLACK CAVIAR||4L||67.96|
|1 – 13||FLEM||30/10/2010||1200||Good||3G1SWT||J WINKS (2)||55.5||$5||STAR WITNESS||–||69.97|
|4 – 8||CAUL||9/10/2010||1000||Dead||G2WFA||J WINKS (1)||53||$8||BLACK CAVIAR||4L||56.68|
|3 – 11||CAUL||14/08/2010||1100||Heavy||3CG4SW||NICHOLAS HALL (6)||57.5||$4||TOORAK TOFF||0.7L||67.12|
Think this classy young colt can defeat the queen herself? Bet on Star Witness to win at Luxbet now with his juicy $16 odds or back him in the Place markets also available on the Newmarket Handicap field through Luxbet.
Don’t have a Luxbet account? Don’t worry and definitely don’t bet anywhere else!
Join thousands of other happy punters at Luxbet and get a FREE $400 BET as a new customer.
Do yourself a favour and deposit the maximum $400 to get the maximum $400 Free Bet at Luxbet.
But remember – you MUST QUOTE THE CODEWORD BONUSBET!
2011 Newmarket Handicap Betting Odds
|No.||Horse (Barrier)||Luxbet Odds||$400 Free Bet Win|
Photo courtesy (c) Taron Clarke Photography