Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This year’s Australian Cup will run as Flemington Race 7 on Saturday, race time scheduled as 3:20pm (AEDST).
The staying showdown follows the action of the 2011 Newmarket Handicap, Flemington Race 6, where Black Caviar is the $1.25 odds-on favourite to make history and win her 10th consecutive race.
Fifteen superior stayers are set to face off in the Australian Cup 2011 and at the top of the odds is #3 Heart Of Dreams.
Having run fourth in last year’s Australian Cup, the Mick Price-trained Heart Of Dreams has continued to improve and impress over the last 12 months and is now the $4.60 favourite at Luxbet to become this year’s Australian Cup winner.
Two starts back the five-year-old was beaten by the narrowest of margins by Typhoon Tracy in the Group 1 C.F. Orr Stakes (1400m) on February 12 before going on to take out the Group 2 St George Stakes (1800m) by an easy 2 ½ lengths on February 26.
Drawn in barrier nine for Saturday, Heart Of Dreams definitely has claims in Flemington Race 7, but we fancy another runner in the field and have #1 Shocking rated special to win.
Flemington Super Saturday Race 7 Tips – 2011 Australian Cup Betting
- Races.com.au Favourite: #1 Shocking – Rated Special to Win – Bet now at Luxbet
- Best Place / Exotic Bets: #15 Playing God, #3 Heart Of Dreams and #8 Alcopop
Mark Kavanagh’s 2009 Melbourne Cup winner Shocking is racing third-up for the season in the Australian Cup after finishing a well-beaten 11th in the CF Orr and then coming in five lengths away seventh to Heart Of Dreams in the St George Stakes last-start.
Based on this form punters have been shying away from the nice $8.50 Australian Cup odds on Shocking at Luxbet.
Here are the reasons why we are tipping Shocking to win the Australian Cup:
- Shocking is a genuine stayer and over 2000m he comes into his own
- Heart Of Dreams has failed to win any of his three starts over the Australian Cup distance, while Shocking has only finished out of the money once in his five 2000m runs
- At the Flemington track Shocking also holds a nice advantage over the favourite
- Heart Of Dreams has had six starts at the track producing just one win while Shocking’s Flemington track record stands at four wins from seven attempts
- Is drawn in barrier 12, the gate Zipping won the Australian Cup from last hear
- With over $4.3 million in prize money, Shocking is the highest-earner in the field
To finish second behind Shocking on Saturday we have our money on Ascot galloper Playing God.
Last Saturday Neville Parnham’s Blackfriars colt made their Melbourne debut running a game third behind Shamrocker in the Group 1 Australian Guineas (1600m).
Sure to have improved after a look at the track, Playing God is back and should be a competitive force in the Cup field on Saturday carrying just 54.5kg.
Heart Of Dream’s form cannot be ignored completely and he will finish right up there in a close third.
The other pick of the Australian Cup field to add into your First Four wagers and other exotic bets through Luxbet is Alcopop.
Winner of the Kilmore Cup last run carrying a big weight, Alcopop is well suited to the 2000m and can put in a decent effort here.
Get in on the Australian Cup betting action right now at Luxbet and lock in our tips, or back your own selections, at the best prices in Australia thanks to Luxbet’s Best of the Best markets!
Australian Cup 2011 – Betting Market & Field
|No.||Horse (Barrier)||Luxbet Odds||$400 Free Bet Win|
|3||HEART OF DREAMS||4.60||$1,840|
|4||CEST LA GUERRE||41||$16,400|
Photo courtesy (c) Taron Clarke Photography
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.