The much anticipated 2011 Apollo Stakes will headline Apollo Stakes Day at Rosehill Gardens today February 19, 2011.
The Group 2 Apollo Stakes will jump as Race 6 today at 4.30 (AEDST) and will be run over 1,400 metres.Current favourite at Luxbet, paying $3.50 for the win, is Les Bridge’s Hot Danish who will be second-up in today’s 2011 Apollo Stakes.
The Nothin’ Leica Dane mare has won five out of eight times second-up, so we know that she performs well under these circumstances.
Hot Danish has won 16 of her 30 career starts and finished third in the Group 2 Expressway Stakes on February 5.
The seven-year-old mare has raced seven times at this track during her career, and has won four times while never failing to place.
She has also won four of her seven starts at this distance, however, has never before competed at Rosehill over 1,400 metres.
Hot Danish has drawn barrier five for the 2011 Apollo Stakes and will be ridden by jockey Tim Clark.
Redoute’s Choice mare Melito will be making her first appearance of the season in the 2011 Apollo Stakes.
Melito has won four of her 20 starts so far and has won three of these on a good rated track.
Melito has never won a race first-up before, instead winning the majority of her races in her second run, showing that she often performs best one run back.
However, she has just won two trials at this track and her trainer, Gerald Ryan, has commented that she is back to her best form.
Melito has won only failed to place once at this track in the past and has always won or placed at this distance.
Seven-year-old gelding Danleigh will be hoping to recreate the events of last year’s Apollo Stakes when he won from a similar barrier with the same jockey, Hugh Bowman, on-board.
Danleigh has won eight of his 39 starts and has accrued almost $2 million in prize money.
The Mujahid gelding has won two of his eight starts at this distance and four of his 11 starts at this track.
Danleigh has won one out of two starts at this track over this distance and has a good second-up record that has seen him win four of his nine starts.
Last year’s victory in the Apollo Stakes was claimed by Danleigh after he ran a very similar run in the Expressway Stakes as he did this year (4th).
Danleigh has drawn barrier ten and will carry 59 kilograms in the 2011 Apollo Stakes.
Centennial Park is coming off a win in the 2011 Expressway Stakes a fortnight ago that saw him beat most of this same field.
The David Payne-trained gelding has won seven of his 24 starts and has accrued total prize money of $664,350.
Centennial Park has won two out of four starts at this track over this 1,400 metres distance and has only failed to place four out of 13 times at this track in the past.
However, the five-year-old gelding will be second-up in the 201 Apollo Stakes and is well renowned for performing much better first-up, winning three of his seven first-up starts and only winning once when second-up from a spell.
Centennial Park has drawn barrier six for the 2011 Apollo Stakes and will be ridden by jockey Corey Brown.
Odds for all of the 2011 Apollo Stakes Field can be found now at Luxbet.
When you sign up to a new account with our most trusted online bookmaker Luxbet you can receive a free $400 bet when you quote the promo code BONUS400.
2011 Apollo Stakes Field Form
- Career Record: 39-8-6-8
- Won this race under similar circumstances last year, and is notorious for performing well second-up.
#2 Metal Bender
- Career Record: 19-8-3-1
- Metal Bender is back from bleeding this start. The five-year-old gelding usually perfroms well first-up, winning the Group 2 Warwick Stakes first-up last prep.
#3 Centennial Park
- Career Record: 24-7-4-1
- Centennial Park broke an 11 start losing streak when he won the Expressway Stakes last start. Not well known for providing great second-up runs, however does appear to be in his best form.
#4 Love Conquers All
- Career Record: 12-6-1-1
- Love Conquers All finished second in the Expressway Stakes two weeks ago and has an impeccable second up record of two from two.
#5 Vision And Power
- Career Record: 59-10-5-5
- The eight-year-old gelding is back from an eight month spell for the 2011 Apollo Stakes. He has won one of his two previous races at this track over this same distance and should be fit after winning two of three recent trials.
#6 Lorne Dancer
- Career Record: 16-8-4-1
- Lorne Dancer missed the kick in the recent Expressway Stakes and ended up finishing fifth against almost the same field. He has a 50% success rate second up and could definitely be a danger here if he doesn’t miss the start.
#7 Hot Danish
- Career Record: 30-16-6-2
- The one to beat here, Hot Danish has a great second-up record, winning five or eight times, and will be looking to better her third place finish in the Expressway Stakes.
- Career Record: 20-4-8-3
- While she is best second-up, Melito is said to be back in her best form, which makes for a very dangerous mare.
#9 Once Were Wild
- Career Record: 14-6-1-1
- Gai Waterhouse’s Once Were Wild won the AJC Oaks last year and while she did not win any races in the spring, this mare can be a threat.
#10 Run For Naara
- Career Record: 16-2-2-2
- This More Than Ready mare didn’t get very far in the spring and probably needs more distance than 1,400 metres to be at her best. Run For Naara performs at her best on a dry track.
Photo courtesy (c) Steve Hart Photographics