Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The 2011 Lightning Stakes is set to run at Flemington this Saturday February 19 and in the betting markets for the big Group 1 sprint Black Caviar may be odds-on favourite but money is slowly starting to trickle in for a number of other runners to claim a massive upset.
Markets for the $750,000 Lightning Stakes, Australia’s only 1000m Group 1 sprint, have been totally dominated by our queen of the turf Black Caviar.
After opening at $1.45 to bring her flawless career record up to nine straight wins tomorrow, Black Caviar quickly firmed into $1.35 at Luxbet with punters waging massive amounts on Peter Moody’s freakishly talented mare.
However, ever-keen to back a roughie and clean out the bookies, some punters are starting to evaluate the depth in the Lightning Stakes field and try their chances on a number of the other runners.
This has seen the odds on Black Caviar drift out slightly to $1.40 over the past 24 hours, still short but based on the form still backable.
Below the Races.com.au team take a look at the 2011 Lightning Stakes betting market movers to see what horses have firmed in their price and what horses have drifted out in the odds.
Market Firmers in 2011 Lightning Stakes Odds
- #8 Stirling Grove (In to $21 from $26) – Mossman three-year-old has won at the track and distance last spring in their debut run outside of South Australia. Coming off a good second at Morphettville and with an ideal barrier two draw and in-form hoop Craig Williams in the mount has claims.
- #9 Crystal Lily (In to $17 from $18) – Punters touching on the 2010 Golden Slipper winner who is first-up, drawn well and has a lightweight. Should be up there, but not having raced since August last year when injured in the Golden Rose could be a little outclassed here.
Market Drifters in 2011 Lightning Stakes Odds
- #7 Black Caviar (Out to $1.40 from $1.35)
- #6 King Pulse (Out to $18 from $16) – The comeback King who is set to return to the track for the first time since suffering serious injury after last year’s Newmarket Handicap. Originally saw money come in after drawing well in barrier three, but doubts are emerging with so long between starts.
- #10 Warm Love (Out to $51 from $41) – Consistent Octagonal filly coming off a close second in the Kensington Stakes, before which she won three straight. Is one of the lightweights in the field and has the record to suggest she will be competitive, but up against Group company for the first time does her no favours.
Make sure you bookmark us here at Races.com.au to view our exclusive 2011 Lightning Stakes betting tips out later today.
In the meantime check out the latest Lightning Stakes odds and markets at leading online bookmaker Luxbet.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.