One of the top international fancies in the 2010 Melbourne Cup field is the French-trained, American-bred and Australian-owned stayer Americain. After storming into Melbourne Cup contention with a slashing win in the Geelong Cup, can Americain maintain their form and back up with a win in the $6 million Melbourne Cup at Flemington tomorrow?
Horse Facts – Mr Medici
- Jockey: Gerald Mosse
- Trainer: Alain de Royer Dupre
- Owners: G T Ryan, K L Bamford, Mrs C O Bamford
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by Dynaformer (USA) from America (IRE)
- Career: 19-7-3-2
- Prize Money: $679,219
- Current Melbourne Cup Odds: $13 Luxbet
Why Americain Can Win
- Enjoyed a string of wins overseas before a barnstorming victory in the Geelong Cup at their Australian debut on October 20
- Geelong Cup has been a solid Melbourne Cup guide in recent years producing a number of Melbourne Cup second placegetters including Crime Scene (2009), Bauer (2008), She’s Archie (2003) and On A Jeune (2005), while Media Puzzle took out the double in 2002 and Melbourne Cup third placegetter Zazzman (2003) also came via the Geelong Cup
- Benefits from having regular rider Gerald Mosse aboard for the Melbourne Cup
- One of the few runners that has won over 3100m, just 100m short of the two miles
- Strong chance carrying just 54.5kg, which includes a half kilo penalty for their Geelong Cup win, a good drop back in weight from their recent runs
- Drawn well midfield in barrier 12 and proven to handle the left way of going
- Versatile way of running, can settle forward or back, which is important for a race that can be run at any pace
Why Americain Can’t Win
- The competition is tough
The only thing that makes us doubt Americain for the Melbourne Cup win is the quality of competition he faces tomorrow.
Still, it is the Melbourne Cup and there are 24 runners which means 24 horse have a chance to win.
If So You Think gets caught up, there’s heavy traffic coming home on the straight, Americain can push through and win at good odds!
Aside from backing a double figure chance in the Melbourne Cup odds, another way you can enjoy a win is by betting online at Luxbet.
This Tabcorp-owned bookie have a brilliant range of bonuses for all types of punters.
Thinking about a bet but don’t want to spend too much? The Luxbet Small Punter Bonus will give you $40 free if you deposit just $10 and quote the keyword RACES40.
Want $400 to bet on the Melbourne Cup? Luxbet will double deposits up to $400 if you sign up and use the promo code EXTRA400.
Fancy a bigger bet? Why wouldn’t you it is the Melbourne Cup! Take advantage of the Luxbet High Roller Bonus offer, join and deposit $2000 and get $1000 as a bonus by using the codeword EXTRA1000.